The achievable can be achieved
In 1997, a near death rock climbing accident had the doctors tell Deepika Mehta that she would never walk again. Not one to allow obstacles to deter her spirit and enthusiasm for life, she sought after alternative approaches and found the age old Indian discipline of Yoga. Practicing meditation and pranayama, Deepika then dove herself deep into years of education and practice and seeking alternative healing techniques. She initially went to the Sivananda Yoga Kendra in Kerala, where she did her Teacher Training. From there she was led to the practice of Ashtanga Yoga and to meeting her Guru,Shri K Pattabhi Jois in 2002.
She has also travelled to various parts of the world studying with various masters like Richard Freeman, Dena Kingsberg, Prem Carlisi, Lino Miele, and Rolf Naujokat. She is currently a student Sharath Jois and learning Advanced A Series with him.
Deepika has been fortunate enough to have her own TV show called Yoga City, as well as teaching India’s most famous celebrities. She has been the master trainer on the show “The Biggest Loser” in India. She has been featured as one of the three women redefining beauty ideals in India in Vogue magazine 2014, has been the face of the fitness campaign 2015 in Elle India, and has been featured in various other publications and given a Dance/Yoga presentation and talk at the TedX event a the UN Headquarters in NYC.
Now a well known yoga teacher and professional fitness expert, Deepika lives in Mumbai, India where she teaches regular classes in Bandra. She also has clients (individuals and corporates) all over the country. She helps them achieve ultimate mind and body experiences with Ashtanga Yoga, diet and lifestyle advice, and has helped them arrive at their goals.
Deepika has 15 years of comprehensive experience in Yoga and modern physical fitness techniques, Deepika is Authorized teacher from KPJAYI –Krishna Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute – the only officially recognized institute of Ashtanga Yoga worldwide (and the Source of the ancient practice). She is also a certified professional from the American Council on Exercise (ACE), The Reebok University in group and personal training and the world renowned institute of Pilates, Stott in Canada.
The following are some of her other proficiencies:
- a diploma in Naturopathy and Detox from The Hippocrates Center in Australia
- a certified Yoga teacher from prominent Yoga schools such as Vivekenanda Yoga Kendra, Bangalore and Sivananda Yoga Kendra, Kerala
- Woman of the Year, 2004 – Elle magazine
- The Pantene Shine Award, 2004
- Cover of India Today and Mans World
- A mention in Time Magazine, Asia
- Features in various magazines such as Cosmopolitan, Elle, India Today, Society and Savvy…
- Faculty at the global summit of the Young Presidents Organization in Bhutan
- Master Trainer on the reality fitness show “The Biggest Loser”, India.
- Had her own television Yoga show called Yoga City on NDTV Goodtimes.
- Performed her unique Dance/Yoga Dance of Prana, and gave an inspirational talk at the TEDX event at the UN Headquarters in NYC, 2013
- Voted by Vogue Magazine, India 2014 as one of the three women redefining physical beauty ideals in India.
- Face of the Fitness Campaign 2015 for Elle Magazine, India
- Vogue Beauty Award for Fitness/Yoga Expert of the year, 2018